Timeout with Amanda: Off-season gives students competitive edge

Amanda Spaeth, Sports Columnist

For a student athlete who endures months of hardcore training, there is nothing better than a well-deserved break. The off-season can provide the rest and recovery athletes need, giving them the freedom to decide how to spend their time.

They could be training with another sport or going home to take a nap after a long, hard day at school. It all depends on the motivation of the student athlete. An off-season comes with advantages and disadvantages. The athlete can continue to train and get stronger, or spend a few months of down time, leaving him or her a few yards behind in the new season.

Although I’ve never truly experienced an off-season, I find it easy to believe the time you have is what you make of it. The only break I’ve had during my four years at JC is a three to four week break in February between indoor and outdoor track. For me, that’s a runner’s paradise since I am always in season. However, a couple of weeks without any type of exercise or training at all may result in loss of muscle tone.

Dedicated student athletes want to stay in their prime all year around. For example, many soccer and lacrosse players join the indoor track and field team to cross train. It is a great way for these athletes to stay in shape and prepare for the upcoming spring season. Running is a great form of exercise for your body because it works a large number of muscles. It’s a great way to build speed and endurance for the upcoming season.

Swimming can also be a helpful way to cross train. It works different muscles, giving your body the strength it deserves. Another option is to follow a workout schedule given by a coach. All those hours spent at the gym will pay off. Everything can be completed on your own time without rushing to report to practice after school lets out.

Being proactive is not always easy. The temptation of taking a short vacation always lingers. It seems like the perfect time to go home, break out the Netflix, and catch up on the final season of Breaking Bad. We all need a break, it’s understandable, but it still doesn’t hurt to go to the gym or run every other day.

In the long run, the off-season has its pros and cons. It gives the body the opportunity to heal from a rough season or advance to the next level. If it were ever an option for me, I would choose to play another sport during my off-season. That way, I would stay on my toes and keep my competitive edge. So before you think about indulging in that winter hibernation, do you want to be left in the dust or be untouchable in the spring?

Amanda Spaeth is a Sports Columnist for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.